If you didn’t know, we recently got several kilograms of new PLA 1.75 mm plastic from http://www.reprap-walmart.com:
Initially we had some difficulty getting it to print well with many failed starts in prints, but after a lot of fine tuning, we’ve worked out those issues:
As you can see, since we’ve worked those issues out, we’ve had outstanding print quality. We’ve even been able to print models we’ve never been able to before, such as Chainmail. A lot of fiddling with Skeinforge was done to allow this, such as adding a skirt (seen in last photo) and changing the speed andtemperature for the first layer. These settings can be found under attachments on our trac homepage: http://bloominglabs.org/trac/pfab/wiki. Just drop it in your skeinforge profiles (probably rename it so it doesn’t overwrite your own settings) and select it in replicatorg. We’ve been using these replicatorg settings:
- Layer Height: Up to you, these prints were at .2
- Feedrate: 80
- Travel Feedrate: 150
- Print Temperature: 225
- Filament Diameter: 1.82
Remember! These settings are for MakerBot Replicator 1 Dual, with Sailfish firmware! We are not responsible for any damage.
This settings are enough for some prints, but the more complicated prints are helped with a couple of odd tricks. #1 is canola/soybean oil, a small amount of this on the filament when loading helps out the prints (found out about this and trick #2 on the makerbot user’s group, check it out!). #2 is Suave Max Hold Hairspray, this works wonders on keeping the print stuck to the build platform, just spray a bit before you start the print.
Finally, if you want the best quality with PLA plastic, you’ll want a cooling fan. More on that in a blog post soon.
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged 3D printing, chainmail, companion, cooling, cthulhu, fan, hairspray, Makerbot, oil, PLA, plastic, Replicator, reprap-walmart, sailfish, settings, skeinforge, soybean, soybean oil, sticking, trac homepage
Just a collection of 3D printed objects.
We just confirmed our position as a student organization, the Bloomington Fabrication Group, located at Indiana University Bloomington! This means we’ll have all our equipment for our first meeting this semester on Friday, hope to see everyone there :)
Here are some re-branded Peterson pipe organ solenoids with disk valves. The leather is from an old PDA case, the foam (traditionally, felt is used) is fantastic Chinese packing material, and what would normally be the fiber washer has been printed in PLA. The lowest row of valves in the image were printed in the new PLA, which is still somewhat problematic. We are still finding the best settings for printing with it.
The solenoids were sold by Mr. Christopher Bruce of smallpipeorgans.com. They will be driven by a board from Orgautomatech, which has a PIC microcontroller and headers for driving up to 64 high-current loads. The board is pictured below:
Pipes are now on their way, and the next step is to start making windchests and some of the lower casework of the organ.
We just got a bunch of new PLA filament in from reprap-walmart, check it out:
All are 1.75 mm PLA, 1 kg each. Colors are Purple, Blue, Red, Silver, and glow in the dark in that order. One other point of note for these rolls are that they are wider than normal, so we’re printing a new spool holder for our replicator.
We also got some polycarbonate filament that we’re excited to try out, it’s still in the bag however, since it’s apparently sensitive to humidity.
We’ll keep you posted on what we print out!
Prototype pipes for the Patmore Organ have been printed, and in the cryptic language of organbuilders, they do indeed “stand on their own wind.” The initial prototypes were drawn from Patmore’s educated guesses. While they did not speak well, they were sufficient proof of concept to continue. By the fourth revision of the design, a pipe with a stronger tone was produced that had more reasonable wind pressure requirements. The current revision will be shown to members of Jacobs School of Music organ faculty and revised further based on their most wise council. A beta stage pipe is in sight.
Here is the big problem to address: These pipes are best printed on their side, but even then, when the other wall of the pipe is being printed, the plastic sags. This makes it impossible to print larger pipes with the same method, so organ hax0ring must be done yet.
The revision pipes four printed include D#, F#, and G.
These diagrams are helpful for understanding what happens inside an organ pipe of square construction. The organ pipes of this construction are normally wood. The figure on the right is very close to my pipe design.
My next experiments will be for deeper pitches. Perhaps I’ll try an open middle C (that’s two feet). This would mean printing the mouth and and attaching it to a larger pipe body.
Happy hacking everypony,
Luke P. Patmore
Just a quick post to show off these 3d printed feet for our Replicator (we lost the ones which came with it). We got the model from Thingiverse here. They turned out really well and fit quite nicely without any post-processing. The only problem with them is without any rubber, they’re really slippery. In fact we had our Replicator walk off a table when we weren’t paying attention (don’t worry it was fine). We put some Arduino rubber feet on the bottom of our printed feet and now they work quite well. Check them out in the pictures!
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged 3D printing, Arduino, fall, feet, Makerbot, PLA, plastic, post-processing, Replicator, rubber, thingiverse